Saturday, July 18, 2009

Arthur Ashe's Why me ?

Tennis enthusiasts know him well or at the most heard the name. 

Arthur Ashe - the legendary player, had won 3 Grand Slams, when he was diagnosed with AIDS (due to accidental blood transfusion for a heart surgery).


From world over, he received letters from his fans, one of which said :

"Why does GOD have to select you for such a bad disease ?"

To this Arthur Ashe replied :

The World over ------------------

5 crore children start playing tennis,

50 lakh learn to play tennis,

5 lakh learn professional tennis,

50000 comes to the circuit,

5000 reach Wimbledon,

4 to semi-final,

2 to the finals.

When I was holding a cup, I never asked GOD, "Why me?". 

And today in pain, I should not be asking GOD, "Why me ?"

It's interesting that during bad times, we question fate for choosing us the victim. We forget the same point when fate smiles and blesses us with happiness and joy. 

Life's fair or unfair is an understanding which varies depending on our maturity levels. 

We may not know the whole story, yet to be unfold, but we can always trust the story writer - The Creator.


2 comments:

Raj Shekhar Jeeee said...

Nice post ....I dont know how do I take away from u some part of ur simple script ...but yes ...surely il try aping you ....

SM said...

Brilliant one.. I have read this book "Day's of Grace" and it was such a humbling experience. Good one that you have captured Rajiv :)Keep writing in!